Saturday, April 9, 2016

THE BRF's - Best Running Friends


Have you ever met someone for the first time and instantly knew that you were just destined to be friends?  You don't skip a beat, you practically complete each other's sentences, and there's never a quiet moment in between all of the smiles, laughter and shenanigans?   Insert:  Lisa and Kari!

I'm sure they'll kill me for posting this. :)  he he

We laughed so hard we cried today.  We froze our assess off.  We ate good food.  We formed a new friendship.  All this while bringing in one commonality:  RUNNING!  Don't get me wrong, these girls were not compete strangers.  BUT, we had never run a race together and we really were all but just acquaintances.  Something tells me that after today, that all changed.  

Goldy's 10 mile was today.  An absolutely freezing 19 degrees on April 9th.  Really Minnesota?  Can you just bring on Spring already?  I "almost" cancelled my meet-up with Lisa and Kari because I have an injury that is forcing me to rest.  I was supposed to run the 10 mile and was feeling a bit sorry for myself.  Do I want to drive all the way downtown to the race?  Will it be any fun if I can't run?  After a little thought, I just didn't want to miss the race, and I didn't want to miss hanging out with the girls, so I decided I would walk the 5K instead.

Even though it was colder than a witches titty outside, the day was an absolute blast!  As an added bonus, I ran into a very close friend of mine who was also walking the 5K.  Unexpectedly, we had 45 minutes of uninterrupted girl talk and it was fabulous!  So great to see Sarah!  Sarah is one of those friends that I used to text about 20 times per day.  Family life, kids and work sort of snuck in and well.... you all know how that turns out.  We don't see each other nearly enough.  But, she's the type of friend that when you see each other again, you really don't ever skip a beat!  Love you girl! 



Once I finished the race, I knew that I'd also get to cheer on another VRF - virtual running friend who would be crossing the 10 mile finish line soon after I finished my 5K walk.  I only had to wait about 10 minutes and Teresa came cruising through the field to the finish!  This is my first "official" meet-up with her and I was so excited to talk in person, rather than just on the blog or social media!  I knew I'd love her just by her running tights!  We were wearing the same pair! :)  She has a great blog too!  Make sure to check her out at www.neonismycolor.com

  
She's running BOSTON next week, so look for her recap soon! 

Ok, so back to the shenanigans with Kari and Lisa!  I swear, these girls are the real deal.  Honest, hilarious, witty, and smart!  Real girls who love to run.  We talked about any and everything today - no stone left un-turned.  Because I don't reveal ALL of my secrets,  I won't go in to all the details of our crazy day.  

But, my point is:  you find friends in some of the best most unexpected places.   Open yourself up to new challenges and open your heart to new people.  Had I still been feeling sorry for myself, I wouldn't have even gone to the race.  I wouldn't have had all this fun and I would be so excited for the future to race with these girls!

I smell more running time in our future.  I hear more laughter.  I for SURE predict more shenanigans!!  Enjoy the Bridesmaid references below :)  What are friends for if you can't share the good, the bad and the ugly.  Instant BRF's were made today and I'm excited for our journey in the future.


To my amazon women......may we have many more wonderful adventures together.   Something tells me it's inevitable.   




2 comments:

  1. I swear that some of my favorite friends started out as VRFs! It's just the best thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! It's like we knew each other 20 years already!!

      Delete