Saturday, June 10, 2017

Adidas Ultraboost X - Review

Disclaimer:  I received the Adidas UltraboostX from Adidas as part of being a BibRave Pro.  Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador) and check out www.bibrave.com to review, find and write race reviews.




Running shoes are as important to a runner as a banana is to a monkey; as white is to rice or a moth to a flame.   In fact, it's not uncommon for an avid runner to have multiple pair of running shoes in their monthly mileage rotation. 

I know that I currently have three pair in my rotation.  I am always seeking out the perfect pair to add to my collection.  When Bibrave gave me the opportunity to test these light and sleek UltrasboostX, I was super pumped! 

What makes these unique is the new adaptive arch that is designed to hug your foot.  It also allows the runner to feel supported on the run.  As you can see from the photo above, these shoes are sock-like.  They fit my foot perfectly and the first time I put them on I could feel the comfort!  I regularly wear these out-and-about without socks. 

I will admit, at first try on, they felt a bit snug.  They did require a tug and adjust to feel just right.   I ordered true to size at 9.5.  My regular shoe size is 9, but I always size up 1/2 size when I purchase running shoes.  Reading other reviews online, some comments were that these shoes run small.  I can see how they 'feel' a bit snug at first, but the toe box was perfect length for me and they were tremendously comfortable.  My big toe had ample room toe move up and down. 

The sock-like feel of the shoe is like no other shoe in my arsenal.  I do have to wear thin socks however, because if I have too much cushion, it got distracting and I felt like the shoe was too tight on the top of my foot.  

They are really a beautiful shoe.  Being the girly-girl that I am, I am very happy that I went with the orange color.   They do come in black as well as gray.




The shoe had their maiden voyage on the treadmill when I completed a one mile sprint.  These shoes had an incredible bounce to them and I really enjoyed my first run wearing them.  They are ultra light-weight and have the right amount of support for the treadmill for sure!




Throughout this last month, these shoes have been to several spin classes, some cross-fit and to the grocery store.  Because they are so comfortable, I reach for them to even run errands.   Today, I even got complimented at spin class.  I know theses shoes aren't designed for spin, but the traction control in the pedals is great!   Plus they are breathable, which I like.  I also don't have super sweaty socks when I'm done wearing them and that is always a bonus!


My sister and I at spin class


I feel as though these shoes handle well on the road and have great traction.  My only disappointment was that they seemed to bother my arch with longer runs stretching over 7-8 miles.  If I concentrated on tempo runs with shorter mileage,  they were comfortable and light.  Would that deter me from purchasing these shoes?  No.  But, I do feel that I need more cushion and rise for my mileage.  I don't necessary think that this is a shoe 'flaw.' 

These shoes are a neutral shoe; as are all of the shoes in my current running rotation.  Could the sore arch have been a fluke?  Maybe.  But, with marathon training in full swing,  I didn't want to take a chance, so I stuck to shorter mileage with these shoes. 




Here are some specs:

  • Neutral Running Shoe
  • Responsive cushioning
  • Primeknit flawless fit
  • Breathable
  • Second-skin experience
  • Adapts to foot strike
  • Great traction

For a girly-girl like me, these shoes are super stylish and comfortable.  I love the versatility that I have in this shoe because it easily goes from treadmill, to road, to spin bike and to the store.  

I do feel that these shoes are a bit pricey at $180.  Yes, running shoes ARE expensive and you do get what you pay for.  However, in a market with many shoe brands to chose from, I feel that the price tag may be the biggest deterrent of these shoes - ultimately making many consumers not even give them a fair shot when they really do have so much to offer.

If you are looking for a great, light and adaptive shoe,  certainly give these a try!  I will continue to wear these for the coming months ahead.   When they have worn out and ran their last mile, they will be placed alongside my other fallen comrades in the shoe graveyard in my closet.  :) 








1 comment:

  1. A very thorough and well rounded review Gina. Adidas is a brand I have not wore since my late teens which is literally a few decades ago. Not that I am now running, one of their models might be worth a try. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete