Sunday, March 19, 2017

Grandma's Marathon Training - Week 6

This week I needed to modify the schedule just a bit.  
But, week 6 of Grandma's Marathon Training 
seemed to go off without a hitch.  


I seriously cannot believe that the race is only 3 months away!  In my world, three months will go at rocket speed!  Here are the STATS for the week! 

32 miles
Snowy Feet
Stomach Flu
Star Wars &
The WILD

MONDAY

We got several inches of snow overnight on Sunday, but the temperature was mild.  Typically, with fresh snow on the ground, I would have just had a date with Millie.  But, with the terrible training week I had last week, I felt it necessary to get my feet to the pavement.  Or, in this case, snow! 


The snow fell most of the night, so the plows had not been out yet.   Almost all of my run was on fresh snow.  Actually,  it was almost better running on the snow than on the plowed main street which was a bit slippery.  

My legs really enjoyed this nice easy pace because I was still recovering from the squats from hell from Thursday of last week!   5 miles at 10:39/mile.  

TUESDAY

Monday in the afternoon was gloriously sunny here, which was great because all of the roads were completely snow-free for my hill sprints!   We have a great 600 meter loop that has a small incline.   It's actually 611 meters and when you're training and using time guidelines - that's a BIG DEAL! Lol! 

Anyhoo, my goal for these runs is to have my splits between 2:51 and 3:07 for 600 meters.  I did five intervals with a short 0.2 mile shag.  I did just that.  My fastest interval was 3:01 and my slowest was 3:06.  I do think I could have pushed even harder, except that I literally couldn't feel my legs or my face.  


It was so damn cold it's hard to really explain it.  6 degree with wind chills at -6 below zero.  Come ON Minnesota!  I'm not asking for 80 degrees, but even 40 degrees will feel amazing!!  
I had 2 pair of compression pants on and my legs STILL felt like giant ice blocks.  I use a neck gator and pull it up occasionally over my face, but once it gets icy, it's pretty much useless.   I get very clostrauphoic with it over my nose anyway.  

I'm not going to lie,  I couldn't WAIT to take the post-run selfie!!!  I knew that I had ice crystals forming all over my face and hair.   I could feel them on my eyelashes when I blinked and the tiny hair on my face was becoming prickly.  

WEDNESDAY

Rest day!  WAHOO

THURSDAY

I had a 7 mile easy run on plan followed by kick-boxing before work.  Trust me, I had already emailed my coach to ask her for different exercises than jump squats.  HA!  

Unfortunately,  neither workout happened.  Hank, my 5 year old woke up at 12:30 am with the stomach bug and the next several hours were for helping him.  It's crazy the hyper-awareness that happens to parents when their baby is sick.  Poor little dude.  We were up most of the night, so I knew that my 4:45 alarm was getting turned off!  

I'm happy to say he's bouncing off the walls again and as it stands right now, no one else got sick!  I KNOW I shouldn't even say those words out loud because I'll probably put a huge hoax on the house and one of us will get sick.  But, for now, we are crossing fingers and all healthy! 

FRIDAY

I have the pleasure and privilege to have Hank at home with me on Fridays!  This has typically been my day off from running, but due to Thursday,  I jumped on the treadmill for 6 easy miles at 9:10/mile.   He was an angel while I was running, so I promised him an epic Star Wars battle afterwards!  

I lost an arm AND a leg in the process. Oh - and he used the force too!  I was toast before we ever started!  

I'm ready with my light-saber! 

SATURDAY

15 miles.  The longest run since Grandma's Marathon last June!  Can the wind in Minnesota PLEASE... pretty pretty please GO AWAY!



This run really felt pretty good.  It's amazing how our brain factors in to our running long distances.  The closer and closer I was getting to the finish, the slower I became.  My lungs felt great the entire run, but I could feel my legs starting to fatigue.  

Many days on my run, I pass through the park in my town.   There is a fantastic waterfall that runs from the creek.  Unfortunately, most of my runs are in the dark, so I can't ever capture it's beauty.  Even after all the mud and snow and leafless trees, this place is still serene.   It's protected by large rock walls and for just a moment,  I enjoyed the sound of the rushing water.  

We have so much beauty around us, we just have to take a moment to appreciate all that we have.

Saturday evening was spent with my husband on a date night to the Minnesota Wild game.  



It's so much fun to watch hockey live!  Even though they lost, we had a great night and came back to a quiet house - no children!  I slept 10 hours!  Absolutely amazing!  

All in all, the week was a tad crazy, but I got so much accomplished with my running.  Have a great week everyone!  Don't forget to link up with Holly and Tricia for their Weekly Wrap!  There are a great bunch of bloggers! 



37 comments:

  1. Solid week for you! All of our snow was gone by Friday (but only had maybe 3-4 inches. Hope it's gone until Dec. 24th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'm ready for no wind and shorts and tank tops!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you have mad Star Wars battle skills! That should count for crosstraining...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job this week! Your run in the snow looks fun. I would much rather run on fresh snow than plowed streets that end up slippery and icy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This winter it's been hard though... my treadmill has won a lot!

      Delete
  4. It does sound like a wild week. Glad the stomach bug didn't stay around for long - and that your son was able to restore your limbs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I'm glad I have my limbs back too! I need them!

      Delete
  5. I almost thought about doing grandma's this year! That snow looks like fun running :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely put Grandma's on your bucket list!

      Delete
  6. You're going to be SO ready for Grandma's! Way to push through some tough weather! Happy SPRING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so hoping. You were in my ear the entire long run. Marcia says slow down.... you need to be able to run 9's alll day! :)

      Delete
  7. great week! Love the frosty lashes.. always so snowqueen beautiful. Your little man is so handsome and I bet he loved the Star Wars battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is obsessed with Star Wars thats for sure! :)

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry your son had the stomach flu, but from your title, I though it was you! Glad it wasn't. That really cold run? That was my 12 miler a couple of weeks ago. Love my skirtsports for that (athleta makes really good fleece lined tights too, as long as you don't mind looking like 15 lbs heavier than you actually are).

    I had considered a neck gaitor for that run, even got one out. My hood covers most of my neck, however, and I don't like something over my nose either. I did worry a bit about frostbite at the beginning of that run . . .

    I always worry about something being slippery UNDER the snow when the streets are covered. Good job getting it all done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just looking at that photo of you after your run in the cold makes me shiver!! Hopefully there will be no more snow in the forecast :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job with your training this past week! I can't even imagine weather that cold and I'm from Buffalo! You Minnesotans really get the arctic blast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seems like everyone's kids were sick this week and mine woke up sick today too. Your weather is intense! Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope they recover quickly! Yes - there is a nasty bug going around for sure!

      Delete
  12. Great job on your week of training. Way to go getting your run in while it was 6 degrees. That is pretty bad ass. I would have threw in the towel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! I had girls meeting me so I was forced to just go. Glad I did!

      Delete
  13. Wind is my least favorite of all the things Mother Nature throws our way, and it's been really windy here as well.

    It looks like you got a great week of training in. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh the snow.... Hey ours is melting away rapidly today with the 50 degrees and sun! There is hope in Minnesota :) I'm glad the flu bug didn't hit the rest of your family and parents really do go into a special hyper mode when a kiddo is sick! It's pretty awesome because, otherwise, how would one function on that lack of sleep?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job. We are getting some strange 75 degree weather in Colorado. I have taken advantage of it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would probably stop by that waterfalls all the time! Nice week! We had some snow last week to and last night - not sure if winter is fully done with us just yet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job on your week of marathon training! I love your icicle picture! Glad your son bounced back quickly from the stomach flu and yay for 10 hours of sleep! I am counting down the days until spring break!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Totally awesome ice crystal hair/eyelashes photo! You're totally badass for running intervals no less in those temps!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG 3 months... that just made my palms sweat...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those ice crystals! That's crazy! I can't even fathom what that must feel like!

    You really got out there and got it done this week! Great work! You are going to own this marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great week, especially since you had snow to deal with. I have no doubt that the next 3 months will fly by!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Way to get it done, that is some good mileage! We had a major snow storm here in Maine too and it set me back a bit!! I need to get the Strava badge like you have in your sidebar...I like it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've never been to Maine... but I hear it's a lot like Minnesota!

      Delete
  23. You are rocking your marathon training! This winter has been gnarly for training. So much ice and wind and cold. I am getting ready for Boston and am so over it!!! Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great week for you! Geez that frozen picture of you doesn't even look real- I don't know how you do it! I won't mention the high today is 76 degrees :-) but I am sending you some warm and toasty thoughts!

    ReplyDelete