Saturday, March 11, 2017

Grandma's Marathon Training - Week 5

Week 5 of Grandma's Marathon Training was eventful!

I certainly had a whirlwind week. 

But, my training was less than stellar. 




STATS:
14.5 miles ( BOO )
Killer Kick-boxing
DOMS
No-go Long Run

MONDAY

This day was pretty crummy.  I did get out for some miles, thank goodness, but the odds were stacked against me.  Thankfully, it was fairly warm; in the 50's.  I was mildly sore from my long run two days before and I knew hill repeats were on the plan.  

I wanted so badly to stay in bed, but I also knew that the run would help me to warm up my sore muscles.  Unfortunately, I just couldn't get going.  My pace was much slower than I'm used to and the hill repeats were draining all of my energy.  My body just wasn't having it!   I only did 2 repeats and called it a day.  

Running isn't always a picnic.  Sometimes it's pretty hard to keep focus.  I'm proud I got 4 miles in, even though they felt sluggish.  


That same day,  someone on Instagram commented that my outfit was "on-point!"  I'll take that and call it a win!  If you've read Wendy's last post, you'll know how important it is to be a trendy runner!  Lol!  Just kidding,  but I DO love matching and I DO have a problem with purchasing running clothes!   I want all.the.clothes.  My closet is 80% workout apparel.  Whoops! 

On that note:   If you run in Brooks you know how darn expensive they are!  $150 a pair for the Glycerins?  WHAT?!  It seems that ALL running shoes are expensive.   I recently came across Poshmark.  I got two new pair of Glycerin 12's that someone didn't like all for only $80 total!  I just got them in the mail yesterday and they are perfect.  Can you say major score??  I was pretty dang happy! 

TUESDAY

The wind was literally 47 mph gusting.   I absolutely wasn't having ANY of that, so I stuck to the treadmill for some easy miles.  Besides, after Monday's performance, I was a bit fearful of pushing too hard.  I loved the easy miles on the treadmill!  5 miles at 9:30 pace - what a great way to start out my Tuesday! 




WEDNESDAY

Rest day.   There's something wonderful about rest day! 

THURSDAY

This has been my tempo day and kick-boxing day.  I know that it may not be the smartest decision to do two workouts in one day.  However, with my particular schedule with work and kids this is about the only time that works.  I really feel like this training cycle it's important for me to get some cross-training in.  

I started out my morning at 5am with a fantastic tempo run on the treadmill.  I run hard, but I still have ample recovery time between my speed miles.  I'm really loving theses speed workouts.  

5.5 miles total.  3 x 1 mile @ 7:50's.  I usually rest about 4-5 minutes in between with a slow recovery jog to get my heart rate back into the upper 150's.  I love my Garmin for that reason.  I know it's not perfect, but I also go by my effort and feel that once I've done the recovery,  I can tackle that faster mile very well. 



Up until now, I've been able to do kick-boxing on Thursday and I haven't been incredibly sore.  Sure, my arms definitely know that I'm working them hard,  but I'm getting stronger every day and I love the class.  

However, this time,  Erik taught the class.  He's my trainers Muay Thai coach and he's intense to say the least.  He may have gotten a twinkle in his eye when he tried to kill us during that hour!  Our one minute active recovery times were absolutely brutal.  I've never done so many push ups and I seriously lost count at 100 jump squats.  




I felt like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman.  Big mistake!  Big. Huge!  

I'd be lying if I didn't think at least once or twice during the class that I would be wrecked for my long run and that I should back off.  But, how do you back off from a hungry bear?   Erik was out for blood.  I was his victim.  I love him for it.  I hate him for it!  Gosh - I was silly. 

At the end of the session, I coined the term Holy-Shit-Tears.  Yes, they are real tears.  I went to the corner of the studio where my water was, took a few big breaths, and then a few drinks of water.  The tears welled in my eyes.  I had utter disbelief at what I had just put my body through.  I had relief that the class was over.  Holy-Shit-I-Was-Done!  

Needless to say, it's Saturday now and I didn't get my long run in because I can't move.  Two days later and I'm still so sore.   I just plop myself on the toilet and roll myself into bed.  It's crazy.  I'm going to have to watch it because this marathon is super important to me.  

As I've said before,  marathons won't run themselves.  The long runs are the runs that really count!   BOO!  

Next week is a new week and I'm smarter now. 

On Friday, I did another Fashion Friday post.  I have to capture all the times I actually wear real clothes.  One of the things I asked my Stitch Fix Stylist was to send me casual and comfy.  I absolutely love these jeans from Liverpool and the cardigan is so soft I hardly know it's on!  I paired it with a tank top I recently got from Maurices and I was ready to go!  So fun!  



If you want to learn more about it,  check out the link and sign up!  It's been great, and I can't wait to get my next box!  For a small $20 styling fee you have the clothes delivered right to your door and you can choose what you like!  I kept all of my last box! 

I'm not exactly sure what to think of this week?  It had great parts and some lousy parts.  But I guess that's the beauty of marathon training.   I showed up for my workouts this week and gave it all I had  -- even if a couple days I couldn't walk.  Lol! 

I'm linking with Holly and Tricia for their Weekly Wrap!  Come join us! 







Follow my blog with Bloglovin

39 comments:

  1. I always figure that if I don't run well, at least I'm going to look good doing it! I love those Athleta tights! Thanks for the shout out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those tights are darn comfy. And, this week I'll crush it! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, lighten up, Dear Gina ;-) You totally worked your body, so missing one long run in the midst of several long runs in this training will not be a big deal (you probably know that LOL). Holy ouch...that video of you walking down the steps was so real...been there, done that ;-) ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are hard on ourselves aren't we Kimberly! :)

      Delete
  3. But us runners.... we are hard on ourselves aren't we?!? Thanks Kimberly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are super cute tights. Wow. Thursday's class sounds brutal. I hope the muscle soreness is over now. The HR on my Garmin is getting sporadic. I think it may be time for a new watch, unfortunately. I think I have that same cardigan in black. It's so fun to see what will be in those StitchFix boxes. Thanks for linking, Gina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm addicted to stitch fix, although my wallet is not. :(

      Delete
  5. I always love it when I have a killer workout outfit :)

    Wow, that class sounds INTENSE! You should be so proud of yourself! You pushed yourself past your limit and you were victorious. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Felt a tad badass, but definately going to have to back off for marathon training.

      Delete
  6. I'm never good at taking it easy during a studio class. I will back off from jumping jacks though because too many kill my gaves and resurrect my PF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me and jumping jacks after two babies - EEEK! not a good thing. I don't do those either!

      Delete
  7. I need to step up my running clothes game. I usually run in shirts I get from races cus where else would I wear them...lol?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the shirts I get at races are my "regular" clothes. #imsostylish. HA! LOL

      Delete
  8. That kickboxing class sounds intense!! I started weight lifting in my early 20's and sometimes it made me cry. I hated it lol. No worries about your long run and hope your soreness works itself out! You'll get that long run done this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally able to run again... but can you believe I'm still sore?? :)

      Delete
  9. I've never heard of Poshmark, but if you can find two pairs of Glycerine's for $80 (that's my shoe), I'm sold! Good find! It sounds like it might be hit or miss, correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely hit or miss because it's basically shopping peoples closet!

      Delete
  10. Great find at Poshmark, it is a great place to shop in-line. Of course I love my StitchFix too :) Man that Thursday class sounded like an absolute killer! Holy shit is right! Rest up that long run will be on your schedule waiting on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm seriously considering telling the trainer that I will no longer be doing all that leg work during marathon training. :) Long run on deck this week 15 miles. :)

      Delete
  11. I do kickboxing every week as well and sometimes I am just wrecked the next day. Yay extra points for cute outfits

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow... so that makes me not want to do kickboxing. Haha :) I'm meeting with a trainer on Friday and now I'm a lil' nervous!!

    Great job this week. You're kicking booty!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man I know that pain. My posterior chain is speaking to me (with profanity) after yesterdays deadlift marathon at CrossFit. So you missed a long run, but still a very solid week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to a boxing class in two weeks and hoping the instructor is not as brutal as yours! Hope you're feeling better already!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry that your long run got postponed due to Holy Shit Tears. That sounds beyond intense! However, I know you will be able to make up for it and you will be absolutely brilliant at Grandma's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! Crossing my fingers for Grandma's

      Delete
  16. Oh my goodness! I felt your pain yet you cracked me up! Other than the House of Pain and a crummy Monday wasn't too bad of a week! I hope the DOMs have relieved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It took 3 days, but I was able to get out for a nice slow run on Monday and then Sprints today - so I did survive! :)

      Delete
  17. I dont think I could handle a tough group fitness class at this point. Anything different from what Im used to leaves me tired and sore! You still had a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to email the instructor to see if I can do upper body in my 1 minute active recovery times.

      Delete
  18. I love those tights! I need to go check them out :-) It sounds like a busy week, great job fitting so much in. I LOVE your Stitch Fix outfit, I am always in running clothes and have no idea what is in style, so I may check this out too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know that other women out there struggle with fashion too! I just want to be comfy.

      Delete
  19. What an intense class! I don't blame you for needing to skip your long run. I'm sore just thinking about how hard you were worked in that class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! No class this week so the 15 mile long run is happening for sure!

      Delete
  20. Stitch fix is in my to do list, I can't style
    Myself at all. Workout clothes I am good with, regular clothes not so much.

    ReplyDelete