This is me, post run, lucky to be alive! Okay, so yes I'm being a little dramatic, but today's run sucked! Not just hand-held vac sucked, like HOOVER sucked! My motivation was low, it was bitterly cold, my legs were tired, my fingers were frozen, my core was cold, I was huffing and puffing and the run just plain sucked!
Stats: 6.6 miles @ 8:22/mile. Just looking at them, I actually think - Woah! I nailed that "push-the-pace" marathon training run! And, in actuality, I was surprised to see that number on the Garmin when I finished.
It was 11 degrees today. Thankfully, there was very little wind, but it felt bitterly cold. It was strangely cold out and so quiet. At about mile 2, I lost my running group. Not entirely of course, I could still see them in the distance. However, I was so far behind, I barely saw the lights blinking on their arms.
This was frustrating in itself because I was mad I couldn't keep up. Instead of dwelling on that fact, I decided to focus on steady breathing through my nose and I listened closely to my footsteps. This meditation of sorts helped me get out of my head and calm my thoughts.
But, here are a few thoughts during that dreadful 6.6 miles today.
- Good God, when will this end?
- It's so cold, why do I live in this state? Really? Why?
- But, then if I didn't live in MN, we wouldn't have our awesome cabin on the lake.
- I can't feel my fingers. But, hey at least my feet aren't cold.
- Another hill?
- Damn it's dark out.
- Why did I wear this jacket? It doesn't wick my sweat and now I'm wet. Note to self: Never again.
- I have ice on my eyelashes. Oooh! That will make a great post-run selfie!
- What will I have for breakfast?
- Is this run done yet?
- My ass is cold, why is my ass so cold? Oh yeah... because it's 11 degrees outside.
- Will this winter ever end?
- I wish I was still laying in bed.
- I have 13 miles on tap for my long run on Friday, maybe I can find a half marathon to run instead? Then at least I get a medal for my efforts. :)
Today, the run got the best of me. Tomorrow is a new day. I'm done dwelling. Thank you to my awesome friends on social media for picking me up out of my slump and making me realize I still got it done! I truly love you all!